Special characters in players names

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Special characters in players names

Post by ConVicT »

I asked someone how they got special characters in their name e.g Ø ™ ©. Symbols that can't be typed when you change your name in game.
I was told i have to change my default when i don't have a name from player 1 to (the name i want), in a file called "user.cfg" but i checked my config folder and i don't have it. So i opened up note pad and wrote "PLAYER_1 ©onVicT" and named the file "user.cfg" and put it in my config folder but it didn't work..........What am i doing wrong?

I have even checked to see if maybe the file was hidden but it's not.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Re: Special characters in players names

Post by AI-team »

1. Depending on your version you could also use ctrl+c/ctrl+v
2. user.cfg is located at C:\Users\<name>\AppData\Roaming\Armagetron\var\ (make sure you have "show hidden folders" enabled)

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Thanks. I've been looking in the wrong place :oops:
Found it now :)
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

You can also find all files that have "PLAYER_1" in appdata. Edit the one matching your name.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

You can also find all files that have "PLAYER_1" in appdata. Edit the one matching your name.
AI-Team just said that LOL!
nux
Round Winner

Post by nux »

ConVicT wrote:
AI-Team just said that LOL!
No he didnt, he told him to look inside an specific file which, if i recall correctly, varies from version to version. I told him to look everywhere.
There's a difference between knowing your shit, and knowing you're shit. Grammar does matter.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

It doesn't vary from version to version—that's the point.* This relates to Convict's post about upgrading. Any file that might be edited or customized, from user.cfg to textures, should be placed in the appropriate directory separate from the game itself (in the case of user.cfg, this is done automatically). That way, when you upgrade none of that stuff is affected. Where that location varies is from one OS to another, not from one version to the next.

In the case of Macs, that location is ~/Library/Application Support/Armagetron Advanced/

...which will house folders/directories the likes of config, moviepack, moviesounds, resource, screenshots, textures, and var. Some of those are created automatically by the game, some you have to create yourself. And by the way, that config isn't where you find user.cfg; as AI-Team pointed out, that file is in var.

I'm thinking this needs to be made more explicit somewhere in the introduction docs to the game; comes up too frequently, including the wrong solutions given by forum members.

* That is, not since 0.2.8.0 was introduced six and a half years ago, and going forward from here out.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Phytotron wrote:I'm thinking this needs to be made more explicit somewhere in the introduction docs to the game; comes up too frequently, including the wrong solutions given by forum members.
Since we get confused ourselves and have to look it up every time, 0.4 has a menu for opening the various directories.
ConVicT
Shutout Match Winner

Post by ConVicT »

Could someone give me a character map that just shows the characters that work in the game?

E.g. Яᵾṧҥ=== came out as ????=== in-game, so obviously those ones don't work.
Don't go to any trouble or anything, just wondering if someone has already tested them all.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

If those chars dont "just work" your code page is bad. Its bsd so thats not surprising, recompile after utf8 exists for you, and itll be fine.

Wait, its just a config issue, go me, haha.
Amaso
Core Dumper

Post by Amaso »

I don't need special characters in my name to prove my dominance peasant.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Amaso wrote:I don't need special characters in my name to prove my dominance peasant.
You do however need first or second, or most of the top ten.

Puny human, or should I say, sock puppet?
Amaso
Core Dumper

Post by Amaso »

/dev/null wrote:
Amaso wrote:I don't need special characters in my name to prove my dominance peasant.
You do however need first or second, or most of the top ten.

Puny human, or should I say, sock puppet?
I am a God but I fall like a Titan now bow mortal.
/dev/null
Shutout Match Winner

Post by /dev/null »

Im not sure whether to laugh and point or embrace you in a gayhug.

Tummyswords?