Armagetron compiling in windows.

For all the help you need with Armagetron!
Ratchet
Match Winner

Re: Armagetron compiling in windows.

Post by Ratchet »

Any ideas? :) I was following Jip's "Crash Course For Dummies -- Compiling 0.4 on Windows" and ran into this error.
"Dream as if you'll live forever,
Live as if you'll die today." -James Dean
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

@Smart: I know that error but sadly don't remember how exactly i fixed it. I think I did use an old version of the compiler (gcc 4.4 according to some numbers i found? The one shipped with codeblocks 10.05 I think) and then had to rebuild boost for it. Not sure though, sorry :/

@Ratchet: It says the file is not there; is it there? If not, my guess would be some error with
Jip wrote:6.
Run ..\armagetronad\win32\makedist.bat
Run ..\armagetronad\win32\protobuf.bat
with the protobuf.bat (since that missing file is some stuff that goes with it).
Did you get any error messages from running the protobuf.bat file? (you can safely run it again and check, no worries)
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Running it this time I got the following error:

ePlayer.proto:66:47: Option "packed" unknown.

done (provided there are no error messages...!)
Press any key to continue . . .
vov
Match Winner

Post by vov »

I don't know what that means but it probably means that it can't build the file you need (I think it works like that, not sure).
You could try with this here, it's the folder from a quite recent build I have done. Replacing the folder "protobuf" in the folder src by this stuff here might work, especially if that protobuf stuff isn't needed for much more than generating those. Not sure on that but I'd give it a go. :)
Attachments
protobuf.zip
(220.35 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

The protobuf version in 0.4/winlibs is very old. Currently 2.0.3, needs to at least be 2.1.0 (the version where the packed option was introduced).
Ratchet
Match Winner

Post by Ratchet »

Right. I could make a new (not to say more updated -- but more updated) set of instructions for building it on Windows. I got it, but after a good bit of commenting things out that were probably there for a reason. It works, so I guess that's good.

I just had to weed through the errors. I got it though :D
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Got the protobuf in winlibs on 0.4 updated. This fixes most of the errors if you follow the procedures. Just to be clear: The isblank() edit is not part of the official procedures. It's just get stuff, call batch files, compile.

This one remains:
XzL.Smart wrote:http://imgur.com/vg7TED9
It happens because the boost compiled libraries are for a MingW version that differs from the one in code::blocks 10.05, and c++ libraries are very fragile for such changes. Dunno why it ever worked, honestly. Using the most recent code::blocks build may help, but I'll look into having the relevant libraries compiled from within code::blocks like the others. That way, we are not so much locked to a single old IDE or SDK.

(You can probably avoid the last error by disabling threading functionality as a temporary workaround, but we don't want that.)

Edit: Fixed that one, too, by compiling the relevant boost libraries with mingw 4.4 included with c::b 10.05 and just checking the result in. So all should be fine right now. Snapshot builds should now happen again from time to time.