Vip game mode

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
firstov3

Vip game mode

Post by firstov3 »

here is my idea for a new game mode

there is one person on each team, randomly assigned or designated by the team that is the VIP/Jaugernaught, the objective of the other team is to kill the VIP/Jaugernaught and when you kill him/her the round ends and you only get points for killing him/her or at least more points

i am not familiar with many of the scripting concepts or anything else so if someone would help me figure out what i would need to do to make this a reality it would be much appreciated.
Last edited by firstov3 on Tue May 10, 2011 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Re: New Game mode

Post by Luke-Jr »

Disclaimer: This doesn't work, and AFAIK needs sty+ct commands to actually be made to work.
Attachments
firstov3.pl.zip
Not a ZIP, just rename it... -.-
(1.04 KiB) Downloaded 191 times
firstov3

Post by firstov3 »

thanks, i have made a map file,
map_file firstov3/VIP/vip_map-1.aamap.xml

what else do i need??
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

You need to actually implement it. It looks like you need to research scripting the game some more, because I'm not sure you have a high enough level of understanding to accomplish this task on your own. I would start out by researching the ladderlog.txt format, and looking at examples from others. The next step for you would be an actual scripted event, such as issuing a CONSOLE_MESSAGE command when a player enters.

Currently, the game doesn't have the ladderlog events necessary for your game mode. You need to be notified about what team a player is on, and the only option to figure this out right now is from ROUND_SCORE events. These events of course come at the end of a round, but the script needs to know as soon as the team event happens.
firstov3

Bump

Post by firstov3 »

just bumping with a repost of the idea and a started script that ct kyle has so generously helped me make. idk if it means anything to anyone but he has helped with what he can but he has many other things to take care of so if someone will kindly help me out it will be much appreciated and they will get the credit for writing the new game mode. thanks

so basically the idea is similar to that of fort but instead of attacking an enemy zone (the fort) you are attacking the enemy vip (an enemy that is selected and will play the role of a zone type thing). just like in fort, you will get some points for killing the other team but you will get the most points from killing the VIP and also the round will end when the VIP is killed (just like in fort). im not sure if it is possible but i want to find out if there is a way to make the VIP for both teams start behind their team. also im throwing around the idea of having the vip start in a sumo-like zone that he must remain in or else it collapses and that team looses just to keep the VIP from wall hugging to survive the entire time. the physics are just regular low rubber. pretty much the same as sumo/fort. the point system im not sure on yet but it will probably be similar to that of fort. the VIP will either be randomly selected or there can be a vote after every X rounds to determine a new VIP for that team.

so basically here is how i see the game going down, both teams spawn in front of a zone and both teams' VIP spawn in the zone and must stay in the zone in order to keep it from collapsing. the teams split of and some of them defend the VIP while others attack the VIP.

if there is anything i missed or that is confusing just let me know.

and here is the started script
VIP script.txt
(5.41 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

So, basically, Tag, Version B, but with teams. Or that "rabbit" mode in BZFlag. Or "hold the bag" in Perfect Dark. There's something similar in Halo, too, if I recall. Why do you all keep trying to make this game a first-person-shooter? Aren't there enough on the market?
also im throwing around the idea of having the vip start in a sumo-like zone that he must remain in or else it collapses and that team [loses]
So, basically, King of the Hill. Later, more elaborate post.

the physics are just regular low rubber. pretty much the same as sumo/fort.
Why do you have to tie physics to the "game mode" at all? The game mode is meta; physics should be unique to each server.

Unfortunately, as I've lamented numerous times, there's some mentality that has developed among the "community" that does tie the two, for no real reason. This not only applies to "special game modes" like fortress, sumo, and CTF, but even those "DF" servers—all servers of each type have the same (or insignificantly altered) physics. I've even come across people who say "HR" or "low rubber" are their own game modes, each of which have to have a particular combined set of physics settings to truly be that game mode. Makes no sense.

By the way, could you edit your topic title to be a bit more descriptive?
kyle
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder
Location: Indiana, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe, Multiverse

Post by kyle »

Btw king of the hill is pretty much so implemented in sty+ct, I had a server up after i made it but noone really played it.