Inverse Zones

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
abcdefg

Inverse Zones

Post by abcdefg »

Concept: A zone that you are inside.

E.g. In a DZ, going outside the zone is where you would die, so you have to be inside it.
Attachments
IDZ.png
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Inverse Zones

Post by sinewav »

That's a cool drawing man, but where do you get a square death-zone? :o
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

I think it is supposed to be an index, meaning red equals death zone. I thought the same thing at first glance, it probably should have been [Red]=Death instead of deathzone.

As to the actual topic I think a sumo zone with the conquer rate cranked way up would be able to do the same thing. Actually I think luke-jr has a server set up that actually has a square zone where if you leave it you die. The only problem is that the zone is invisible on most clients unless you have the zones V2 stuff in it (I think). So I guess when Zones V2 is all done this type of zone will exist.
You've gone too far, turn back!
Luke-Jr
Dr Z Level

Post by Luke-Jr »

Yeah, we already have this with Zones v2, which will be part of 0.4.
abcdefg

Post by abcdefg »

Coolio. :)
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, Lucifer and I discussed that years ago, as an alternative to rim walls closing inwards, as in an old Mac Shareware game I have called "Beam Wars." Difficult to find now, here are a couple pages that feature it, the latter page being in French: here and here. In this particular game, as the round progressed, the outer wall would begin to collapse inwards in increments, shrinking the arena. As the levels and difficulty progressed, it would begin earlier in the round, and the intervals between collapses would speed up.

I suggested creating something like this in Arma, whether it was with a smooth animation or with the arena simply being immediately sized a step smaller like in Beam Wars (in which case, anyone outside of the new rim would automatically explode). But, as it was described to me, changing the rim walls mid-round isn't possible because of the way those graphics are created/rendered. So, that's why I used the word "alternative."

I even made a concept pic, myself (dated 12/19/05). I can't recall if I ever posted it here, though. This just shows a few stages.
Attachments
shrinkingdeath.png
(9.41 KiB) Downloaded 30 times