Server problems?

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Server problems?

Post by TiTnAsS »

I'm not sure if its a problem with Lucifers packaging or the code? Lucifer probably knows more on the problem then me to since hes the one hosting the server. (note i scanned through older posts and didn't see him post anything on this yet)

He is hosting my server for me, and of course crack pipe for himself. People often complain to me on IM that its not showing in master server list, and occasionally I dont see it either. Lucifer has restarted it, and says its up on his computer. It hasn't shown for me or Zig for a few days now. Luci also says that people complain to him about this on Crack Pipe, but it gets fixed when he restarts. (correct me if im wrong..)
Damn, it sure has been a while!
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It's a bug in beta2, the reason I haven't posted on it is because Tank has already posted on it and as far as I know it's already been fixed, just waiting for beta3. Or z-man said he'd fix it for beta3 or something like that.

In the meantime, try custom connect/server bookmarks. The server is running, I think. :) (for beta3 I'm going to set it up using the fancy recording setup z-man told me about awhile back, if I have time, that is)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

oh sry, and i cant custom connect or bookmark connect...tryed......
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

If this is about either the strange timeouts some players get or the server just getting into an unreachable state for some reason (socket problems suspected): No, sorry, I don't have a clue how to fix that yet. I don't know what's causing it. I have a lot of timeouts on tape for my servers, but I have not yet found time to look at them (some player telling me when he experienced a timeout would help, I don't want to chase timeouts that turn out to be crashing clients.) And the unreachable state bug does not seem to happen for me. I'm waiting for a recording from tank there.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

z-man wrote:I'm waiting for a recording from tank there.
posted it as you posted this
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

uhh no, it dosnt show at all... even when restarted, dosnt go to master serv list at all...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Hmm, can you post the startup output of the server? Perhaps something goes wrong on the connection to the master...
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It would be better for now, TnA, if you'd just wait until beta3. :) The problem is fixed in cvs, and I'll update to beta3 asap after it's released, and if there's a second problem hidden in there that isn't fixed, we'll see it then.

z-man: his server is running on my machine, in case you missed that part of it. So we're already on it, so to speak, and I'm waiting to update to beta3 when I expect to see the problem has gone away. Speaking of whiches, how far out are we from beta3 right now? It might do well for me to go ahead and build a cvs snapshot and stick it on the server.

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Since TnA was talking about restarting the server and it still not appearing, I was assuming he had some control over it. But any way suits me fine.

I think the only bug that affects the server is this one:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=657948
The master server's IP is only resolved from DNS once. No problem if either your IP does not change or you set some DEDICATED_IDLE time, then the server will restart anyway and reconnect to the master properly.
Then, of course, is the branch-branch to be merged.
And, whoops, joda.bot's blackness bug, but that's already in beta2 as it seems and I don't think it got worse.
Apart from that, current CVS is pretty close to beta3 as far as the server is concerned.
TiTnAsS
Match Winner

Post by TiTnAsS »

I do have some control over it. All it takes is "Lucifer, can you restart the server? please?".....
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

I tried to enter Belly of the Beast today, and got this after it crashed. Is it not available yet but yet still in the list, or is this an actual bug?
Attachments
bug.JPG
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

It's not quite setup, but any information you can get on why it's not working is greatly appreciated. :)

It's supposed to be setup, and near as I can tell it's right, but when I try to login I get disconnected by the server with the message "Server has shut down". Weird, huh?

- Iron Maiden
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

Got the same message after playing some hours (1-3h) on the "Fortress" server...
Once I switched to windowed mode my Armagetron version (beta_2, Windows) started swapping *eg*... (PC has 512MB RAM and should not swap)

this bug might be related to the memory leak z-man fixed lately.

EDIT: 5th edit ... too tired/unconcentrated.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

That message is just a followup error from a previous fatal error that could not get cleaned up properly. It would be cool if I could have a recording of it happening as the result of a connection termination (that's what the belly does, and I suppose joda was hit by the random timeout bug and kicked). Everytime I connect to the belly, I get the usual, clean "Server was shut down" message.
Fonkay
Match Winner

Post by Fonkay »

If I had any idea how to do a recording, I might.