0.2.8 (beta 3 tagged)

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Sorry, I don't understand either what's wrong on your side, the way you described what you do, it should have worked.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

z-man wrote:Sorry, I don't understand either what's wrong on your side, the way you described what you do, it should have worked.
Who would have thunk it? I ignored the problem, it went away.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Yay, more bugs found. :)

Sometimes, when you connect with the client, it won't take changes to MAP_URI and MAP_FILE. It'll pretend they dont' exist and tell you to upgrade your client.

The wall bug is noticeable on the inverted cross with the 4 chambers map on the Crack Pipe. So we're going through walls again.

My server is reporting itself as beta1, but I built it with beta2 sources. What's up with that? Did I trick myself instead and built with beta1 sources? How can I determine undoubtedly what the server version is?

Finally, after playing with real people, with a script that uses everytime.cfg to change the map every 5 minutes, the thing is broke when the AIs take the field. I don't really know how to describe it, I'll try to get a screenshot + recording for this.

For that matter, I'll try to get recordings for all the interesting problems we're having on the Crack Pipe. :)

- Iron Maiden
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Lucifer wrote:Yay, more bugs found. :)

Sometimes, when you connect with the client, it won't take changes to MAP_URI and MAP_FILE. It'll pretend they dont' exist and tell you to upgrade your client.
It is this bug. I first noticed it on Jonathan's server, and then also on the server with "sudden death". The latter was running 0.2.6.0, so its a client bug.
The wall bug is noticeable on the inverted cross with the 4 chambers map on the Crack Pipe. So we're going through walls again.
The client receives a message to change the map, but it doesn't (above bug) so it just keeps the old one. It appears like you are going through walls, but you are not. Its just you are running a different map from the server.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

nemostultae wrote:
The client receives a message to change the map, but it doesn't (above bug) so it just keeps the old one. It appears like you are going through walls, but you are not. Its just you are running a different map from the server.
Actually, we saw the old wall bug.

If you are having this problem where the map isn't updated and you're being told to upgrade, you can fix it on your client by disconnecting and reconnecting. Ok, I don't know about that, I shut down the program and restarted it and it was fine. Then hang did something too, I don't think he quit the program and restarted, but he may have.

Then, after we were sure our clients were working fine, we went to fight, and in one of the chambers of the new map your_mom made, he went through my wall just like the old wall bug.

- Iron Maiden
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Maybe it's loosing the packet that tells it the map?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Tank Program wrote:Maybe it's loosing the packet that tells it the map?
That would jive with the intermittent behavior where occasionally, even after you've restarted your client, and after it's worked fine it'll just not work, which is disastrous when it's a map. :)

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

About the config item bug: I caught it on tape and am investigating. Edit: fixed. It was the code that is supposed to ignore network setting item changes if they appear to come from an old message. A timeout value was way too high.
About the wall bug: I fixed another phasing instance since beta2, one I only managed to produce with zero rubber_mindistance: if player A drives straight on and player B grinds his fresh wall in the direction A is driving and turns towards the wall after a while (after the point A was when B started grinding), he had a chance of passing through it.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

We're at the point again where there are no fixable high priority bugs left; so I suggest pushing out a third beta at the end of next week. Depending on new problems cropping up, I'd tag the sources between Wednesday and Friday.

If all goes well (and we don't decide to put in some of the feature creep suggestions by Lucifer and Philippe for .0, in which case there should probably be another beta with it), this is going to be the last beta and the next release should be a RC.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Still no icons in the dedicated server for beta2. I don't remember exactly what we decided for this, either, but I was kinda hoping to have icons so I could make an application menu entry in Mandriva. :)

(you can read this to mean I figured out why the wrong sources got built for the mandriva dedicated server rpm)

Edit: please disregard, the icons have been found. :) They just weren't where I was expecting them to be.

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

So I upgraded the Crack Pipe and now it seems like the lag is waaaaaaaaaaay worse. Like noticeably worse, like worse beyond just my server being under particularly high load.

Anybody else can confirm this? Any ideas why? It's now definitely on beta2 sources. :)

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I'm in no comparable position (ping ~ 300), but I do get worse timer related sync problems right at the beginning of the round. Maybe you should try setting NEW_FEATURE_DELAY 2, this disables some features that were added since beta1, among them proper verlet integration of the cycle speeds which should theoretically improve syncing when server and client simulate at different FPS, but may have backfired.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Should it not be reading some settings out of autoexec.cfg? It'll read rubber but it ignores the SCORE_* settings for example...

Edit: haha, that's not it. If one of the SCORE_* settings is invalid, it won't load any of them.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Tank: It works for me. When testing, remember that there are also the SP_ settings that are active instead while you're alone on the server.
I noticed another strangeness: the first time I let the AIs win the round, they did not get anything for winning.

While I'm posting here: The beta has been postponed for one week. New source tag day will probably be Friday the 21st. Some bugs (like the extra lag Lucifer mentions) have just waited for the announcement to appear, and Philippe wants to update the map specifications to something sane.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

How about a config option to specify where the stats will be stored? I realize it's in the various scripts that are around, but it would really rock if we could do that in settings_custom.cfg instead. Same with the game log, if at all possible (I realize the game has no knowledge of the log).

- Iron Maiden