0.2.8 (beta 3 tagged)

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Thanks it looks less cluttering now. I updated the Fortress server with it for testing.
Edit: it crashes :( Reverting for now.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

z-man wrote:Thanks it looks less cluttering now. I updated the Fortress server with it for testing.
Edit: it crashes :( Reverting for now.
Hmm, that is odd. The changes ran fine in a LAN game for me.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

It wasn't your fault :) I changed the compilation flags to DEBUGLEVEL=1, that alone causes the crash. Really odd, I absolutely have to go after it. I'm reinstalling the chat code. Sorry.
Edit. This is not good. The server crashes on round start when DEBUGLEVEL is smaller than 2. The crash is an obscure memory management crash when the countdown is to be displayed. (not in the custom memory manager, that's precisely what gets disabled at these settings.) The true error is something that happened before that. This will not be easy.
<Deity of choice> bless binary search. By littering copies of the code that triggered the crash all over the place I identified the cause. It's a very old bug (existing probably about forever) in nNetObject::SyncAll() where a network message's ID was written to after the message possibly already had been deleted. I replaced all plain message pointers in nNetobject.cpp with smart pointers.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

v0_2_8_beta3 is tagged.
Packages are building.
Z-Man is tired.
(So there is a chance that the tagged sources are crap, I suggest testing them a bit more before we release packages. As long as we don't release, we can still move the tag.)

And good news: I have a confirmed false timeout on tape. Confirmed because it was me who timed out right after connecting. I think I'll be able to make something out of it.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Heh, can't release yet. :)

Attached is the map I'm trying to get into my cvs client, built just a few days ago. What am I doing wrong? When I connect to the server, I get "Can't connect, the server was shut down".
Attachments
belly_of_the_beast_server-0.1.xml
(7.28 KiB) Downloaded 91 times

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Your error was probably reading the docs :) I shall put a warning up that they are heavily outdated.
The dtd for zones needs to be map-0.2.8_beta3.dtd.
The top level tags need reshuffling.
The zones come after the walls.
It's no longer <Zone type=>, it's <Zone effect=>.

Here's a corrected version. Bug report: one of the zones is too far in the middle, I did not do anything about that.

Looks cool!

Oh and sorry, more than two zones won't work properly yet; the first to conquer any enemy zone wins the round.
Attachments
belly_of_the_beast_server-0.1.xml
(7.24 KiB) Downloaded 151 times
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Hmmm, I don't suppose you could take a few minutes and put the updated docs over on the new-fangled wiki thing, could you? ;) (I made a section specifically for map stuff that's not yet finished, so those of us using bleeding-edge features can see it)

ANd thanks for updating the map for me. :) I'll get it up in a minute, gonna check my tea level, and I need to go to bed pretty soon.

- Iron Maiden
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

That's weird. Now when I connect to the belly I just get a blank screen. ?

- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The server seems to be stuck in the game preparation; perhaps you don't have map-0.2.8_beta3.dtd in resources/included? It should have been put there automatically. Posting what the server log says could help.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

Lucifer wrote:Hmmm, I don't suppose you could take a few minutes and put the updated docs over on the new-fangled wiki thing, could you?
make that a few hours... updating the tutorial and writing it in wiki syntax.

Could you (should we) make a copy of the current tutorial under a heading like "tutorial 0.1" or something similar (*). The one I'm working on now address the syntax of map-0.2.8_beta3.dtd.

-ph

* I think by now ppl have noticed that when ever I address version stuff, my IQ drop below that of the average houseplant.
Canis meus id comedit.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer: it seems the version of the map that is downloaded by the client is still the old one. That does not explain the server hanging, of course.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

A short hack for the text insertion from instant chat keys. I had to make PLAYER_CONFITEMS a little larger (probably could be a bit smaller than 60). Use it as:

Code: Select all

INSTANT_CHAT_SHOULD_INSERT_TEXT_playerNumber_instantChatNumber
Edit: it only works when you are not in chat mode already.
Attachments
chat_macro.diff.bz2
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 92 times