0.2.8 (beta 3 tagged)

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

What about texture stretching on walls? I searched the sf bugs but did not see it listed.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer: The easiest way would be a console command that gets interpreted just like the command line, like

Code: Select all

COMMAND_LINE --vardir ~/mylogs
The difficult bit would be dissecting the commandline into words with proper support for quoting and escaping. Or, of course, exporting all the variables in tDirectories as setting items directly.

Nemo: Right, thanks for reminding us. Philippe, do you still want to do it the proper way or shall I attempt the crude hack I had in mind for now?

Typo edited.
Last edited by Z-Man on Wed Oct 12, 2005 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
philippeqc
Long Poster - Project Developer - Sage

Post by philippeqc »

from the DTD

<!ELEMENT Map (Settings?, World)> 

<!ELEMENT Settings (Setting*)>
<!ELEMENT Setting EMPTY>
<!ATTLIST Setting name CDATA #REQUIRED>
<!ATTLIST Setting value CDATA #REQUIRED>
Something like this. What will take the longest is that I did started to try to control all the resources. The problem I've encountered is pretty much:
1) aa start
2) config is loaded
3) all the texture are instantiated
4) map is loaded, trying to change the config.

4 work for EVERYTHING but the textures and sound. I'm unsure about the cycle model, but I know that because cycle are created at each round start, I'm able to control their texutre and trail texture. But to get there, it mean I had to make "settings" of all the textures, even if it doesnt work from the map (work as config controlled at start time).

I'll cvs it as soon as I figure how to take code that is for head and put it into a sub branch without breaking everything ;)

On the todo would be:
a) find a way to re-instantiate the textures during play rather than only at startup
b) merge the movie pack and the not-movie pack together. For that
b-1) wall texture. Rather than to have 1 OR 4 why not have from one to four. Just use what ever is provided.
b-2) wheels are put only if wheels are there. ie: one could decide only to put the front wheel. Could allow for new model of 0 to 2 wheels.

But that's all a bit high level for me atm. I'll let you look at the code before we decide if we fix it for the release or not, and who.

-ph
Canis meus id comedit.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Umm, I don't know about Nemo, but I was talking about the arena wall texture stretching when the walls are not aligned to the x or y axis. The one that completely messes the texturing up for one of the diagonals.
The other thing, custom textures, would be neat; but I really don't think we can have them for 0.2.8 without some serious hackery we'll regret later. The refactoring of the base rendering system, getting rid of the static texture objects that give you headaches, needs to come first.
Tank Program
Forum & Project Admin, PhD

Post by Tank Program »

Every now and then this happens...

[0] Timestamp: 2005/10/12 16:55:30
[0] Creating grid...
[0]

Timeout! Reason:
[0] User 3 does not know about netobject 2805 ( gCycle nr. 2805 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 2676, name supple ).
[0] User 3 does not know about netobject 2804 ( gCycle nr. 2804 owned by ePlayerNetID nr. 2763, name zig ).
[0]

[0] Go (round 3 of 20 )!
[3] received logout from 3.
[3] zig left the game.
It happened to me once for no reason too. Just all of a sudden you're disconnectd...
[/code]
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Hmm, we had this before. Back then, it was caused by a reset of a socket so the connection was really lost, IIRC. I'll add it to the bug tracker and would be happy about recordings. I have some timeout messages in the logs and recordings of my server; if anyone reading this knows of a disconnection incident with a 0.2.8 beta client on "Z-Man's gameplay test server" (client crashes or older clients would not count here), let me know.
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Spawn points problem. Uploaded recording.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Thanks! Yes, the problem plays back fine on beta2 (meaning the bug is visible). I'll have a closer look at it tomorrow.

Update: It plays back fine in current CVS, too. The other fine, the one that says "bug fixed". Can anyone verify this? Please see nemo's link for bug report details.
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

Can someone explain why tron is listening on these really random ports?

[0] Closing socket bound to *.*.*.*:33587
[0] Bound socket to *.*.*.*:33587.
[0] Closing socket bound to 41.0.0.0:20048
Also why it seems to get to that last line and stop being playable...
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Tank Program wrote:Can someone explain why tron is listening on these really random ports?
The random port is the network control socket; it has always been there, only the output is relatively new (some months). The server does not listen on it for connections. Do you know where the strange IP 41.0.0.0 comes from? In what context does the message appear?
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

I don't know where it gets 41.0.0.0. It comes up after armagetron (dedicated server) has been running overnight. It's the last thing in the console and the server doesn't show up in the server browser (lan) any more.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

What's in the console before that? Would a recording be possible? I ask because I'm clueless, a simulated 24 hour run worked fine here (accelerated time in tSysTime :) ) Strange things happen when I try to connect a client, though; I'll investigate them because what a normal client can do to a timewarped server, a slowed down client may be able to do to a normal server under heavy load.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

master server is unreachable, my server is getting stuck in an infinite loop (apparently) trying to reach the master server, so it's not starting. :(

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Tank Program

Post by Tank Program »

z-man wrote:What's in the console before that? Would a recording be possible? I ask because I'm clueless, a simulated 24 hour run worked fine here (accelerated time in tSysTime :) ) Strange things happen when I try to connect a client, though; I'll investigate them because what a normal client can do to a timewarped server, a slowed down client may be able to do to a normal server under heavy load.
Well, if you don't mind a huge recording, I can set it to record before I go to sleep tonight. Would you mind posting a recomended debug recording command line so you get the right debug level you need?
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

z-man wrote: if anyone reading this knows of a disconnection incident with a 0.2.8 beta client on "Z-Man's gameplay test server" (client crashes or older clients would not count here), let me know.
I got a recording of a client rendering issue, not sure if it's known though.
I played on the test server, and once you played 4-5 rounds the grid is not rendered anymore. I have a (368k) recording available. Happens on Linux, Windows and OS X as far as I can recall.

http://homepages.upb.de/joda/recording.zip

I'll make a bug report, once I have a recording of a random disconnect there.
Those usually happend after the issue show in the recording.

The bug is server side btw. as another player joining the test server could not see anything either.

Recording from: Mac OS X 2.8.beta2