Translation (Polish)

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
rafalcieslak
On Lightcycle Grid

Translation (Polish)

Post by rafalcieslak »

Hello everyone!

I am now working under a Polish translation, but I need some help. I've got some questions:

1. Should I translate 0.2.8.2.1 version, or 0.2.8.2.1 alpha 20080308? I am aware there can be some diffrence between them...
2. Polish language has some special chars, most of them does not show proterty in AA. I can write translation without them (f.e. ó -> o), and it will be readable, but it won't look good. Is it possible to change the font only for this langugage, so that te chars will be shown? If no, should I transla te the file in the correct way, or so that there will be no 'symbols' in the game
3. I think I know what exacly update.py does, but: I can download new.txt and run update.py, or copy english_base.txt and translate the copy: what is the diffrence?
use the source...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Re: Translation (Polish)

Post by dlh »

1. Ideally you should work from the current subversion/bzr source code found in our source code repository. See the wiki Bazaar page or the wiki Subversion page.
  2. You must ensure your file is saved in the ISO-8859-1 (Latin 1) encoding.
rafalcieslak
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rafalcieslak »

Oh, thanks for quick answer.

Well, I actually tried to code it in iso8859-1, but it doesn't matter. Letters like 'ńłóźżąćś' still look like symbols.
use the source...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Oh, I see... some of those characters can not be represented in Latin 1 encoding, so unfortunately for full support of the Polish language you will have to wait for UTF8 support in the game. There is a development branch devoted to adding UTF8 support, but I'm unsure of its status.
rafalcieslak
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rafalcieslak »

In this case imho i should make two files: the first, translated very property, and the second, the wersion without the special chars, so the game will look much better. The user could switch between these two, ane choose what he like.... but probably nobody wolud choose the first one, because it is hard to read sth in Polish having many symbols inside the worlds...
use the source...
dlh
Formerly That OS X Guy

Post by dlh »

Perhaps this command will help with the transliteration from UTF8 to Latin 1. I'm not sure how readable the output is, but it may save you some time.

Code: Select all

iconv -f UTF-8 -t "latin1//TRANSLIT" utf8-langfile.txt > latin1-langfile.txt
rafalcieslak
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rafalcieslak »

I've got one more question: I noticed most of server messages I translated does not show during the game, there are just in English.
Let we say there is a f.e. Spanish server, and mine AA's language is English. Server messages will be shows in Spanish, won't they? So these server messages I translated into Polish will work only if I host the server?

In other words: Does the server send the client signal like 'Lets show message: player_win_frag' or just send the string 'Now please print this text: Player1 core dumped Player2' ?
use the source...
wrtlprnft
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by wrtlprnft »

rafalcieslak wrote:In other words: Does the server send the client signal like 'Lets show message: player_win_frag' or just send the string 'Now please print this text: Player1 core dumped Player2' ?
The latter.

Most of the messages you see in the console depend on the server's language.
There's no place like ::1
rafalcieslak
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rafalcieslak »

So why are they included in client, if they are not used? Shouldn't they be only in dedicated server?
use the source...
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

Every client can also host a game :-)
rafalcieslak
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rafalcieslak »

Oh, right, I've forgotten about it :-)
use the source...
rafalcieslak
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rafalcieslak »

wrtlprnft wrote:
rafalcieslak wrote:In other words: Does the server send the client signal like 'Lets show message: player_win_frag' or just send the string 'Now please print this text: Player1 core dumped Player2' ?
The latter.

Most of the messages you see in the console depend on the server's language.
Hm... But why it does not work in the first mode? Why servers does not send client message like 'Lets show message: player_win_frag, where \1 = "Player1", \2 = "5 points" and \3 = "Player2"'? It that way everyone would get server messages in his language :wink:. Of course, sometime it is needed to print a special message, like 'Welcome to our server, the rules are blahblahblah...' but if it is a standard message like this one about 'core dumping' or 'Overall winner:' it would be cool to see them translated.
So what is the reason for using the latter method?
use the source...
wrtlprnft

Post by wrtlprnft »

What do you do if the client is older and doesn't have the message in question in any language? what if the meaning or parameters of a message change between versions?
epsy
Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by epsy »

mainly because it was fast and easy to code and (almost) didn't require backwards compatibility at all

now what you're mentioning is part of a draft which hasn't been written yet, but I'll let you guess that we've been thinking of something like that for long ago
I'll put up a blueprint about that, and, trough a basic implementation is really needed for the new sound engine which is planned for 0.3, there's some crazy things which can be made later (splitting stuff in different parts of a cockpit, ignoring some 'types' of messages, transforming messages (Team blue, Team red and Team gold got 20 points each for conquering Team ugly's base) and..much more)
rafalcieslak
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by rafalcieslak »

Good news!
I've done translated the alpha version from march, now I just need to update it to version from repository, and finally send it to friends to check for mistakes (and convert it to version with no special chars, dlh's command does not work well) . In few days time everything should be done!
use the source...