CVS test server

What do you want to see in Armagetron soon? Any new feature ideas? Let's ponder these ground breaking ideas...
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

@z-man: I died and started (fast) switching players... sorry, no recording... I was testing my modifications ... so I did not bother to start recording.

The result was that I looked onto a grid with no walls visible and no cyles ... though the text message were being printed fine.

What changes cause recordings to break ?
Network protocol changes ? Would it break the recording if I have a different menu implementation ? or if I added a field to the network protocol that can be ignored ?
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Any change that makes the same input cause different effects breaks a recording. A new menu that is never actually accessed does not break it, new network code that adds data to messages does not break it.
Network code that sends a new message breaks the recording. The network message IDs will get disturbed, the acks with the message IDs send back by the peer will no longer match the expected IDs, the connection will time out.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The missing vote thing should be fixed :oops: Some code meant only for the server was executed on the client, preventing the vote to appear. Indeed, it was a clientside bug.
joda.bot
Match Winner

Client Recording of missing zones

Post by joda.bot »

This is the client side recording of the high ping problems.

1. Bug is @ 160 (or was it 140?), there is a high ping and no zones.
2. forgot about that one, I was unable to see it in the recording.

I've got another 24mb recording, I'd rather search it again for bug reports ;).
But the problem I noticed boils down to a missing escape if the master servers are not available or you don't want to connect to a server (that's not reachable) anymore.

It's especially annoying if armagetron tries all 5+ master servers :(.
(And my connection went down due to Arcor-Side DSL problems here).

@z-man: do u have a tool/trick to search all chat messages ?

Version is 0.2.8_20051204 ... compiled @ 04:12 (so it's rather 20051203).

Have to use a release version for these :(.
Attachments
no_zone_bug-160t_jumpy_lag_correction-270t.tar.gz
no_zone_bug @ time 160
(669.42 KiB) Downloaded 93 times
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

I just use grep to scan through chat/log files. Of course, the files have to exist; the client dumps all console log to stdout if DEBUG is defined.

The recording plays back a bit bumpily after you enter the game (lots of lag sliding) and not at all in full debug mode, so I guess that is just an effect of the not-so-full recording compatibility. The lag, since everyone is affected, is most probably a network glitch at our institute. Those things happen to us a lot.

The zones not appearing is a slightly different problem than expected: the grid is ready when they are transmitted, but for some reason, the client decides to cycle through the game states again and deletes the grid and all objects. It probably does so because it gets an old, delayed state update and takes it as a new update. I'll see whether I can filter those messages out.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Hmm, they were already filtered. I enhanced the filtering a bit (messages now get a blown up 32 bit ID from the transmitted 16 bit ID), that broke the recording just at the point the missing zones should appear, so I suppose it worked.

Nemo did not get assigned to a team when he joined after a restart last night, and he did not get spawned. The reason was that at the time he joined, single player settings were still active. I'll see what I can do, periodically letting unassigned players find a default team may do.
Edit: yes, that helped.

Code: Select all

joda.bot: BUG can kick myself
:) Yes, is that a problem? It can be abused to gain the protection from another kick vote. Join a server, suggest to kick yourself, complain, have everyone reject the vote, and don't be kicked again for five minutes, during which time you can do what you want. But you get the same effect by having a friend issue the kick vote, and I guess people who have seen it abused once will accept any self-kick vote.

joda.bot: BUG kick votes get confused by player's only ui problem
What was that about?
joda.bot
Match Winner

Post by joda.bot »

ahh good, another issue I noticed... sometimes some player should be kicked (as he is afk) but someone else issues another kick vote against a good player...

Many players did approve both votes at the same time :|. Perhaps there should be additional information about the vote:
1) Number of votes left to accept it.
2) Person who submitted the vote ?

I guess other information won't improve it, except that perhaps the vote items are more readable if the hud and console aren't rendered in the background.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

Adding a pause until all players have left their vote menus would be nice.

Also, adding a configurable delay between rounds would be nice. ;) (The configurable delay would allow a team server to go ahead and have 10 seconds or so for teams to get sorted)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Revan
Core Dumper

Post by Revan »

This is just a suggestion..Maybe have something like 70 or 80 rubber..I'm a speeder so I'm used to the 300 rubber my server provides :) but I still would think to spice it up a little get atleast 70 rubber..so you could double bind atleast once maybe?

I don't know much how these servers work. And how that would affect the lag problems...:|
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed.
-Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Revan: I can't tell you the reasons in a nice way, so I just say NO. If you want high rubber, there is the GN Fortress. Of course, you'll have to find a way to convince the admin that infinite wall length just does not work.

Lucifer: OK on the admin configurable pause. I'll see if I can enable a person's chat state while he's in the menu. It's alreeady done if the menu is activated manually, I'm not sure about the automatically activated vote menu. And then we could delay the round until all players left the chat state. Within reasonable bounds, of course, maybe give each player/team a certain timeout budget per match/round.

Joda: I don't think adding the kick reason to the menu would solve anything. Then, if I kick you for TKing, you just kick me, giving the same reason. There is no substitute to scrolling back the console log and reading what really happened. We could display recent log lines about the player to be kicked, though, and possibly the submitter if the privacy settings allow it.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

[6] lag: BUG:  It's not putting me on a team and I can't join.
(and similar) Whoops. I left the max number of players per team at five, and the code now respects that. Setting bug.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

[4] received logout from 4.
[4] spidey |mbc| left the game.
[4] spidey |mbc| leaves Team blue.
[4] Killing user 4, ping 1.04267.
[2] Lucifer: BUG
[2] Lucifer: Spidey MBC has left, but it assigned him to Blue team
Was he spawned? The logs look fine, he's off the player list. What did your client show?
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

He wasn't spawned. If you look, you see another player came in. I don't remember seeing the new player's name appearing, so it felt like that was the message telling us about the new player (whose name was Player 1 I believe), but spidey's name showed instead.

Spidey had just left, too, like during the previous round. I guess you saw that. :)

(offtopic: it's starting to irritate me when you say BUG and immediately someone who failed to notice the words "test server" when he came in wants to tell you there was no bug, he was a badass, and then you describe the bug and he tells you to shut up)

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Yes, Player 1 joined the round Spidey left, and got assigned to team blue. Lag was bounced around the teams a bit, first assigned to blue, then back to gold. I don't precisely know why, but I suppose it has something to do with player counts to being up to date right when a player joins. I'll let joda inherit that problem.

Anyway, I tought maybe your client confused Spidey and Player 1, but it hardly had a chance; they got different network object IDs. Where did you see Spidey after he left? As Name-Above-Cycle, in a chat message, or the score table? As long as it was in the score table and he disappeared after a while, this may just be a delayed object deletion message.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

Lucifer wrote:(offtopic: it's starting to irritate me when you say BUG and immediately someone who failed to notice the words "test server" when he came in wants to tell you there was no bug, he was a badass, and then you describe the bug and he tells you to shut up)
try
/msg Lucifer BUG
:)