Random Screenshots Thread

General Stuff about Armagetron, That doesn't belong anywhere else...
Mecca
Match Winner

Re: Random Screenshots Thread

Post by Mecca »

I thought these first two were funny (read what Liza says)

deleted because they were too big : )
Last edited by Mecca on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Not really the sort of screenshots this covers. Same reason I didn't put that "odd conversation" in this thread. Look up old threads by that Dylan twerp. They'd fit there.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

Moved from last page to bump. :/
Attachments
What's happening here?
What's happening here?
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Your textures are totally rad.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, just to reiterate it: For anyone interested, and to give due credit, the rim_wall seen in the background was cropped and resized from a free desktop picture called "Ornamental 2" created by a fellow named Vlad Gerasimov. His work can be found at the following site: http://www.vladstudio.com/home/

I just recently realised that the rim_wall vertical stretching thing is a change with 0.2.8.0. I knew something was different, then was reminded when a) looking through older screenshots, and b) loading up older versions of the client. To make it look like the older versions, set RIM_WALL_WRAP_Y 1, which will repeat the texture up to the "way up there." Some textures look stupid repeated vertically (e.g., a cityscape), though, while others, like this one, look neat with that stretching. And I'm guessing it saves some framerate, too.

The dir_wall is just a light-to-medium grey with a chiseled bevel around the edges. I think I may have to change it for practical purposes, though, because those vertical lines can be deceiving.

...still wondering if anyone can figure out what's going on in that screenshot. :)
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:...still wondering if anyone can figure out what's going on in that screenshot. :)
I can, but I'm not going to tell. Also, lucky screenshot!

And the dir_wall was the thing I liked the most. Very cool, very cool.
Lucifer
Project Developer

Post by Lucifer »

In-cam, looking backward.

Be the devil's own, Lucifer's my name.
- Iron Maiden
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Yeah, but what about the vertical blue line running down the center? (Maybe it's not so extraordinary, but it's neat, anyway.)
Van-hayes
Round Winner

Post by Van-hayes »

The two things that I noticed that are a little off is the blue vertical line and the player/ai's name on the right, it says passbootkill (i think) but the b is overlapping the second s for some reason.
You've gone too far, turn back!
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Oh yeah. Well, the AI names are just overlapping because of positioning. That's nothing.

The blue stripe? In sinewav's incam server, if you're in the middle position and continue straight from the beginning, you will occasionally grind right down the center (or seemingly so) of the opposite cycle's light trace—the blue one, in this case. This can happen in his coin-op arcade server, too. Weird things happen here. When you first contact, you get a little hesitation as though rubber's being used, but then you bust on through. If you have a speed meter up, it usually goes a little haywire while you're moving straight on.

The screenshot is glancing back. Here's one where it's even more "perfect," in that my tail doesn't have that side to it as in the above screenshot:
Attachments
screenshot_46.png
Lost

Post by Lost »

cool photos dude but the 1st one was the best for me
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

I told youse there has been phasing! (or whatever the proper term would be)

I'm white, AI is gold, "AoT: Original Arcade" server. This is the only time I've caught it in a screenshot, but I've experienced and witnessed it in other servers as well, and not only early in the round.
Attachments
ArcadePhase.png
Last edited by Phytotron on Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope

Post by Phytotron »

Grid Escape #1. Classic Arcade server. I had seen this happen a handful of times—it's at the end of a round, as you can see. However, since I usually use a black floor and outside the arena is black, I had never noticed this effect until I colored it grey. It's also the only time it hung long enough for me to notice and catch a screenshot. The floor appears to get dragged/stretched out along with the lightcycle!
Grid Escape #1. Classic Arcade server. I had seen this happen a handful of times—it's at the end of a round, as you can see. However, since I usually use a black floor and outside the arena is black, I had never noticed this effect until I colored it grey. It's also the only time it hung long enough for me to notice and catch a screenshot. The floor appears to get dragged/stretched out along with the lightcycle!
Grid Escape #2. As indicated by the "Phytotron [me] entered the game," the first screenshot is what I saw upon entering and switching to watching Gene. His lightcycle just sat there; notice the placement of the cycle in the tail, as well as the difference in the tail texture pattern. The second screenshot, as you can see by the "watching" messages, is as I switched and looked at him from dompij's points of view. Of course, neither of them saw what I saw.
Grid Escape #2. As indicated by the "Phytotron [me] entered the game," the first screenshot is what I saw upon entering and switching to watching Gene. His lightcycle just sat there; notice the placement of the cycle in the tail, as well as the difference in the tail texture pattern. The second screenshot, as you can see by the "watching" messages, is as I switched and looked at him from dompij's points of view. Of course, neither of them saw what I saw.
Last edited by Phytotron on Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Post by sinewav »

Phytotron wrote:I told youse there has been phasing!
In that same server I went through the rim and pack into play. Like, 8 meters through the rim and back again.
Z-Man
God & Project Admin

Post by Z-Man »

The server is running code from mid 2008. A phasing bug that looks like it could be the one in question was fixed beginning of 2009 (bzr revno 1008/1009).