Quick Question

Anything About Anything...
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Quick Question

Post by Slov »

Sorry this might seem a little off but somebody just told me that the stores that are located inside the airports (like the ones that you can go to after you pass the security) are cheaper because of some weird tax trick. Is this true? (I'm interested in the brand-name parfumes, cigarettes and stuff like that).
I've done some research on Google but all I found was this "duty-free" thing that only goes for people travelling from EU to non-EU countries. So.. anyone knows?
.pG (only like, the best clan ever)

my mixtape fire tho
sinewav
Graphic Artist

Re: Quick Question

Post by sinewav »

In the United States, merchandise sold inside an airport is much more expensive than the same items sold elsewhere. Duty taxes are determined by each country's rules for imports. Some countries will have you check you bags through customs and pay duty tax on any items you bought outside the country.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

You can get duty free at most airports. You don't pay certain taxes (VAT etc.) that's why the items are cheaper. Forget it if you're buying to sell because there's limits on quantity :) Only really worth it on stuff that has high taxes to start with like tobacco
I think sine might mean convenience items like food & drink etc. wouldn't worry about having to pay at customs on the way back either, just if you buy too much they take it away
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

If you are flying international flight then you're off VAT regulations. (does not work for european flights)

So you get VAT reductions, BUT you have to account for the fact that the shop is a premium shop and is more expensive. You'll get really better deals in asian duty free shop or middle east ones.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

thanks everyone :)
Hoax wrote:You can get duty free at most airports. You don't pay certain taxes (VAT etc.) that's why the items are cheaper. Forget it if you're buying to sell because there's limits on quantity :) Only really worth it on stuff that has high taxes to start with like tobacco
I think sine might mean convenience items like food & drink etc. wouldn't worry about having to pay at customs on the way back either, just if you buy too much they take it away
Oh ic. So how much would a pack of cigarettes be cheaper on airport? Because in England its like 8 pounds lol. How much would it cost on let's say Luton airport?
Oh yeah I'm not buying to sell, just wanna buy some gifts :P
Last edited by Slov on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

my mixtape fire tho
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

Hoax wrote:You can get duty free at most airports. You don't pay certain taxes (VAT etc.) that's why the items are cheaper. Forget it if you're buying to sell because there's limits on quantity :) Only really worth it on stuff that has high taxes to start with like tobacco
Oh ic. So how much would a pack of cigarettes be cheaper on airport? Because in England its like 8 pounds lol. How much would it cost on let's say Luton airport?
Oh yeah I'm not buying to sell, just wanna buy some gifts :P

my mixtape fire tho
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

WARNING : You cannot bring more than a certain amount of cigarettes at the airport, you may have a fine for taking too many !!!!!!!!! And the shop won't tell you that's too many.
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

oh thanks! I'll be careful

my mixtape fire tho
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Cheap enough to buy all you can. There's usually signs advising individual limits
Sorry to hear you'll be in Luton :lol:
Slov
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Slov »

yeah but what's cheap for UK standards? Because a pack of cigarettes is around 3-4 euros in Slovenia haha.
lol its the only airport that flies to Slovenia. Luton as a city is so shitty haha, I had to spent 5 hours there when I flew in, waiting for my ride..

my mixtape fire tho
takburger
Match Winner

Post by takburger »

In UK it is damn expensive. I'd say you buy your packs in Slovenia and plan for all your vacation to use your Slovenian ones.
Hoax
Shutout Match Winner

Post by Hoax »

Btw pretty sure it's not the only airport but yeah cheaper over there most likely
delinquent
Match Winner

Post by delinquent »

Slov wrote:yeah but what's cheap for UK standards?
Anything that you buy at the house with the dirty front door down the road.

Tobacco, alcohol and chocolate have spiked, and will keep spiking for years to come.
ppotter
Match Winner

Post by ppotter »

Yeah Freddos are 20p now, what the ****
It-Is-Me
On Lightcycle Grid

Post by It-Is-Me »

ppotter wrote:Yeah Freddos are 20p now, what the ****
^If I could thank this post, I would. Haha. :D Brightened my morning.
"What's yours is mine and what's mine is my own."
-someone

You'll probably see me most frequently on Forsaken Grid but I like to check around the other places too. I play as It-Is-Me.

I also play in a style of whatever comes at the time...I don't plan it, so please don't complain :p