World Cup Super Thread!

Anything About Anything...
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Re: World Cup Super Thread!

Post by owned »

DDMJ wrote:
owned wrote:Note that because of the way the bracket is, if you say a team in a certain group will be in position 1 instead of 2 or vice versa, the only spot you can possibly get points for that team is if they win and you also chose them as winner. (sorry if this is confusing, if you don't understand I'll clarify)
Could you please clarify this? I know of my 11 picks to be in the top 16 they were all ordered correctly (1 or 2) but I'm not sure about the other people's and I don't know if Tit's been scoring according to this rule or not (I haven't analyzed the thread enough, sorry).
I'm saying that there are 31 total spots in the bracket. (16 in the round of 16 spots, 8 in the quarterfinal spots, 4 in the semifinal spots, 2 in the final spots, and 1 for the winner, I forgot to add the third place match when I did it.) People get points for putting the correct team in the correct spot.
In the bracket, the first and second place teams from a group go to opposite sides of the bracket, so they can only meet in the finals. Because of this, if you switch position 1 and position 2 in a certain group, the only way you can possibly get points for one of those teams is if you name one of the switched teams the winner and they also win.

Say for example you said Spain would be in position 2 in their group, and you then said they would end up winning the world cup. Because Spain was actually position 1, the only way you can get points for Spain is if they end up winning. You don't get points for them being in the final because they are on the wrong side of the bracket.

I'm too lazy to check tit's scoring so I'll just trust that he's good at math.
custang
Average Program

Post by custang »

You guys can't be serious... You would have to say Italy, England or France... Ireland would have done better then France in the group they had.
bring back ddl!
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

@owned: that's what I assumed, just checking, thanks
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

Larrionda was ok :O

[ Magic! --epsy ]
gawdzilla
Liz of the many names

Post by gawdzilla »

Why the hell did you edit his post?
Jonathan
A Brave Victim

Post by Jonathan »

Perhaps something about the size of the image. I saw a webcam-like image at first. Maybe epsy gave a free quality bump, or orion did so already but pulled the layout apart.
ˌɑrməˈɡɛˌtrɑn
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

or he was really bored :P
owned
Shutout Match Winner

Post by owned »

custang wrote:You guys can't be serious... You would have to say Italy, England or France... Ireland would have done better then France in the group they had.
I wouldn't say France was a big disappointment because they were absolutely horrible in the qualification matches for the cup. They just barely edged in over Ireland, with a handball.
England wasn't really a disappointment either, they played worse than expected, but no one outside of England expected them to beat Germany, which is a much better team.
I agree that Italy was a pretty bad failure, they lost to Slovakia, and somehow only managed to tie Paraguay and even New Zealand.

The biggest failure for me was probably Spain. They came in to the cup, the world favorites along with Brazil, expected to easily destroy everyone in their group and have an easy road to the finals. Instead, they lost to Switzerland, barely topped their group, and while they managed to beat Portugal, haven't been able to really regain their former stature. Tbh though, almost every World Cup, Spain comes in with a good team and almost always underperforms.
Phytotron
Formerly Oscilloscope
Location: A site or situation, especially considered in regard to its surroundings.

Post by Phytotron »

I thought epsy added the goal-line edit.

By the way, um, what's up with the German coach eating his boogers? Does he have his team on the same dietary regimen? Is that the secret source of their success?
orion
Match Winner

Post by orion »

yes epsy edited MY post ¬¬
Word
Reverse Adjust Outside Corner Grinder

Post by Word »

Phytotron wrote:By the way, um, what's up with the German coach eating his boogers? Does he have his team on the same dietary regimen? Is that the secret source of their success?
i don't care as long as we're winning. :)

the biggest disappointment for me was the game which we lost to Serbia :|
DDMJ
Reverse Outside Corner Grinder

Post by DDMJ »

The biggest disappointment from my point of view would have to be the first 5 or so minutes of every USA game including the first 5 minutes of extra time vs. Ghana.

For months we've been stressing the importance of NOT giving up the early goal, specifically focusing on that. Yet, it seemed to happen in almost every match. Playing from behind is never easy in a soccer game, especially in the World Cup when teams are desperately vying for points, and in the case of Ghana, to advance to the next round (notice how they played keep away for the remaining 25 minutes of extra time).
fingerbib
Core Dumper

Post by fingerbib »

Deadmau5 wrote:To me, my country the Netherlands has been dissapointing so far. They talk about winning the cup but the skill theyve showed so far isn't good enough for that, sure, theyve won consistently... but not against great times. I think we will lose against Brazil if we don't step it up.

I'll post a video of me eating my socks if they win Friday. :P
/me waits patiently :D
he said.
AI-team
Shutout Match Winner

Post by AI-team »

Netherlands \o/

Good Job!

"95% of people believe in every quote you post on the internet" ~ Abraham Lincoln

wap
Round Winner

Post by wap »

**** yeah